We are SO close to the new year. I always look forward to this time of year because I like reflecting on my year and thinking about how I’m progressing in becoming a decent human being in all aspects of my life. Last years word you may remember was INTENTIONAL. I think I’ve made HUGE progress in using my time wisely and feeling accomplished and adequate in all aspects of my life even if I spent a good 3 months being a bump on a log thanks to the first trimester.
I already know that 2018 is going to throw a ton of changes into our lives, so this year’s word came rather easy to me. 2018 is going to be all about FOCUS.
What does focus mean to me?
- Spend time together every day. Whether that’s for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
- Plan more date nights.
- Have dinner together frequently.
- Spend more time together WITHOUT the tv on or phones in hand.
- Being intentional with my alone time.
- Being intentional with family time.
- Scheduling time with family and friends.
- Being less hermit-like on the weekends.
- Spending time making and keeping connections strong by hanging out with friends/family more.
- Making regular times where we get together with family and friends other than holidays, even if that’s just for afternoon tea.
- Visiting our family and friends in Ontario more.
- Facetiming and phoning friends and family on a daily/weekly basis.
- Put our little family first.
- Using the 8 hours of work time wisely, even if it means less socializing.
- Doing extra projects that may be available to me.
I’ve learned a LOT about myself and my relationships using the one word method of New Years resolutions. So ditch the typical New Years resolutions and choose one word! It definitely is a LOT easier to feel accomplished because you are only focusing on one word instead of many things all at once.
So tell me, do you do a ‘word of the year’? If so, what it is? What about resolutions? Do you make any?