You may remember that my 2016 ‘Word of the Year’ is service. It means that I actively seek out ways to serve others which obviously includes The Mister. It’s forced me to think outside the box because it isn’t my primary love language BUT that doesn’t mean it is impossible and I’ve discovered LOTS of awesome ways to serve my marriage, that seem insignificant but are impacting our relationship positively in a HUGE way regardless of our love language.
Here are 15 ways you can impact your marriage with acts of service:
1. Make them a coffee or tea in the morning.
2. Give your spouse a massage.
3. Running a bath after a long day.
4. Do a chore that they hate doing.
5. If you don’t normally make the bed, make it. Everyone loves crawling into a freshly made bed.
6. Pack their lunch.
7. Make them breakfast in bed.
8. If you don’t normally plan date nights, surprise them with a pre-planned date night.
9. Have dinner ready for when they come home from work.
10. Do something on their “put off” list, if you can.
11. Bring them a warm towel when they get out of the shower.
12. Bake cookies for them.
13. Help organize the home office.
14. De-clutter closets.
15. Fill up their car with gas in the evening so they don’t have to in the morning.
The important thing to remember when your spouses love language is Acts of Service, make sure you are helping and giving because you want to; however, don’t overextend yourself and feel resentful for doing the share of the giving. A genuine smile and helping hand translates to, “I love you!” And if your spouse does speak the love language of Acts of Service, they will probably be serving you a lot as well.
So tell me, is your primary love language Acts of Service? What about your spouse? What are some other ways we can be of service to our spouse?