May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month, so I thought I should bring some awareness to this greatly misdiagnosed disease! Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food which in turn can wreak havoc on many different parts of your body including your brain, muscles, bones, and thyroid.
1. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease, just like Type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
2. Celiac Disease can lead to other disorders including infertility, reduced bone density, neurological disorders, some cancers, and other autoimmune diseases.
3. Having 1 autoimmune disorder makes you more likely to develop other autoimmune diseases.
4. About 95% of people with Celiac Disease have the HLA-DQ2 gene and most of the remaining 5% have the HLA-DQ8 gene.
5. Gluten is not only found in food. The protein is actually used in many products including medications, adhesives, and makeup.
Anything else you’d like to know? Let me know in the comments. I’m not an expert by any means but I feel like there needs to be some education thanks to the trendy hipsters who eat gluten-free for no reason.